Womenlines takes pleasure to welcome Samantha, a Career Success Coach and Career Futurist from Singapore as a guest contributor at Womenlines. Read to know about various ways how you can address the employment gaps in your resume-
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 2.5 million women left the workforce which led to employment gaps during the Covid-19 pandemic, some voluntarily due to the sudden need to be at home for their children and managing home-based learning.
We have known of people around us, particularly women and mothers who have chosen to temporarily stopped working as family needs set in as the priority, i.e. parenting and other life responsibilities. It is inevitable that as a result of this, there will be a need to address career gaps on their portfolios.
The world has been evolving all the time, and in the past decades, we are in exponential times. To apply linear thinking when it comes to career charting, will not make any sense and will not be relevant as well. In today’s world, if you are out of work for more than 6 months, it gets significantly more difficult to get a job because most employers will see you as ‘out-of-touch. That is how fast we are moving.
Tips to Address Employment Gaps
If you are currently a stay-home-mom or have intentions to head back into the workforce, here are some tips for you:
- Revisit your career goals and motivation
- Why do you want to get back into work?
- What does work means to you now?
- What are the possible functions/ sectors that you are considering?
- Revise your portfolio
- Draw relevance from your past experiences
- If you have done any sort of upgrading and/or volunteer work, put them in. Even if it is only parents-support groups, there are skills to showcase too
- Put yourself out there, it is about time to harness on your past networks and connections.
- Realign your expectations
- Be patient that it may just going to take some time
- Be realistic with your role and remuneration expectations
- Be ready to start all over again (but this time with much collected wisdom)
It is all about presenting one’s work profile the best way. You can also take help from resume writing companies like that of resume service in Pennsylvania to showcase your professional experience better way!
Samantha is a Career Success Coach and Career Futurist. Over the past decade, she has been working closely with countless of professionals, graduates and undergraduates in Singapore and in Asia on personal development and career charting. She scouts for upcoming and future trends that will allow her clients to better position themselves, to stay relevant and competitive. Currently, she is focused on spearheading a global movement to impact one million lives by empowering fellow human beings to do meaningful work and be future-ready so that they can achieve a fulfilling and happy life.
Project Jobless: Becoming Irreplaceable is about equipping individuals to become irreplaceable in this changing new world.