Womenlines takes pleasure to share about Leadership Coach Sally Anderson as a guest influencer for Leadership at Womenlines panel from New Zealand. Sally has privately coached key influencers internationally: CEO’s/executive teams/C-Suite forums/entrepreneurs/celebrities/politicians/millionaires/billionaires over 20 years. This week Sally is sharing presentation tips for leaders-
I was asked last week by the amazing Eugene Moreau …..
Perhaps Sally you can shape a Post around ‘Presentations In The Boardroom – A Leaders Perspective. I know you have extensive experience in coaching high profile 1-1 leadership and the board level leadership communication is one of your ‘deep wells’.
Thanks for the suggestion Eugene…
Here’s my top 12 recommendations:-
(1) STOP PREPARING
- PREPARATION OVERKILL – There is a fine line between being ‘prepared’ and ‘over preparation’. An overly polished presentation lends to a disassociated delivery for there is more pre-occupation with following what’s been practiced than generating the delivery
(2) TELL THEM WHAT YOU INTEND TO HAPPEN
- SET CLEAR INTENTIONS – Articulating 3 clear intentions at the start of a presentation is not only wise but effective. Benchmarked clear intentions guarantees better outcomes and provides clear direction of the presentation
(3) OWN YOUR PRESENCE
- CLAIM YOUR SPACE – Do the work! Sort out your insecurities, inadequacies, issues with presenting or yourself, it’s a hard ask to expect respect at board level when you do not OWN who YOU are!
(4) WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE
- TOO HIGH PALETTE – In a lot of cases, there is a tendency to use language that is to ‘high level’…you can lose your audience when you don’t find the right level
- JARGON TABOO – Jargon in my books has its place so long as you provide the explanation/context, jargon otherwise detracts
(5) NEVER ASSUME
- KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE – When you are so close to your subject matter expertise never assume others know what you know regardless of the calibre of who you are presenting to
(6) SLOW DOWN
- SAVOUR THE OPPORTUNITY – Delivery at speed does not always land as impactful…like a good red, savour the experience, (still learning this one myself)
(7) WOW FACTOR
- POINT OF DIFFERENCE – From the minute you present you are communicating volumes – ensure your presentation is succinct, professional and bring the WOW Factor to stand out from the norm
(8) WATCH THE CURVEBALLS
- EXPECT INTERJECTION – Be prepared for interjection, embrace it, welcome it, enjoy it, but be on your game in knowing how to return serve
(9) ENERGY SETS THE SCENE
- ACKNOWLEDGE THE NON-LINEAR – Vibration, energy, resonance, all play a massive part in the effectiveness of your presentation, learn how to harness
(10) LIBERATE YOURSELF
- WHERE’S YOUR FOCUS? – To have freedom in your delivery ensure your focus is not on YOU, your attachment to seeking validation, acknowledgement, endorsement…for it’s not about you!
(11) EMOTIONAL CONNECTION
- STORY TELLING – The key to any memorable presentation at any level is the ability to ‘emotionally connect’ your audience to your message and intersperse with powerful story telling – yes even in the boardroom
- LEVERAGE, LEVERAGE, LEVERAGE – Who you are in your human form is limited, who you are in your co-creative form is limitless – leverage your co-creative ability when you present as it’s your MAJOR X-factor
The boardroom for many can be intimidating. To provide impactful presentations regardless of the arena, starts and ends with your ‘mindset’. Cannot recommend highly enough the need to ‘do the work’!
If you feel ready to ‘do the work’, feel free to reach out and book in for a complimentary strategy session to explore what could be possible for you!Report this
CEO/C-Suite Leadership Coach
Sally partner’s CEO’s/C-Suite Leadership Executives/Key Influencer’s Achieve Unprecedented ‘Sustainable’ RESULTS!