It is a pleasure to share about Senior Physiotherapist Shubhangi Gaikwad from the United Arab Emirates as an Influencer for health and fitness at Womenlines panel. A Dedicated PT offering 7 years of acute-chronic care experience; a history of “exemplary” ratings on performance reviews; solid credentials that include, BLS/Dry needling/Manual Therapy certifications /certified FMT and a master’s degree in physical therapy in Neurology. Background includes work with pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients. This month Shubhangi is sharing tips for how to drive without pain-
In this article, I would like to take the attention of our women followers over the issue which is one of the most advancing factors in relation to pain. Yes, its “Driving”.
Nowadays women are independent and driving most of the time of their own. Many girls who have sales and marketing jobs they spend most of the time behind the wheels. And of course the homemaker, who have responsibilities of the whole house in their shoulder, they keep driving most of the time from picking up and dropping kids, going for shopping, taking a family member to hospital etc, etc, And eventually, we end up in pain in various joints and muscle.
To avoid these, Definitely exercises help us. But another way to avoid these pains is to follow the below preventive steps.
- SINGLE HAND DRIVING: When you drive with one hand there is constant elevation and depression in your shoulder, pulling one side of your paraspinal muscle and constant contraction in your hip muscle. Moreover when you take steep round turns that makes it worse with the extra load on neck and back muscles with constant vigorous firing in buttocks unilaterally. And the arm chilling in window sill getting weaker & weaker day by day. This imbalance between two sides ends up into postural abnormalities.
- Avoid SUPER STRAIGHT SITTING: Constant arching in spine cause fatigue of back muscles. Best way to achieve perfect seating posture is to take your spine into maximum arched position and then release 10% pressure from your back. Use inbuilt lumbar support in your driving seat, inflate it up to the level, so as your hip or waistline does not move forward and you end up in hyperextension of the lower back. If you don’t have inbuilt lumbar support use adjustable cushion available in the market. Also, do not slouch it can give you hunch back.
- WATCH & REMIND YOUR SHOULDER: Hold your wheel in 10-2 o’clock position, maintaining the bend in your elbow. Keep your shoulders relax, unknowingly we shrug our shoulder which makes yours muscle fatigued. So watch out and keep calm around the shoulders.
- SHOES DOES MATTER: Yes! Don’t forget to readjust your seat whenever you are changing your footwear. There will be a definite change in hip and knee angle when you wear thick sole shoes and when you wear flats, which can lead to forwarding rotation in one side of pelvis giving undue pressure in the buttock area and compensatory rotation in spine & shoulder. For ladies who wear a high heel, there are chances of calf muscle strain, shin pain and unwanted knee issues. Try to keep a comfortable pair of shoes for driving.
- HAIR STYLE … Attention girls : I have noticed many girls with big bun and ponytail, keep their neck away from headrest even when they can relax while waiting for signal to open, this leads to stiff neck at the end of the day with neck spasm, and repetitive practise of this leads to straightening of natural cervical curvature and this the beginning of the scary term “Cervical Spondylosis”. So girls be careful, my suggestion is to use a neck pillow, so your neck musculature can take a break, while you shine with your gorgeous look.
Tips for fun driving:
No, don’t exercise while you drive, follow the simple and fun points:
- Use hand brake while in signals. Relax your legs and take off your hand from wheels.
- Check out the cars on your sides, for this, you will move your neck from right to left and repeat, better than grabbing your cellphone and look down to check messages.
- Enjoy music it’s the best stress buster.
- Bhangra groves, yes move your shoulder up &down while enjoying music, see you just worked on your trapezius.
If you have any query regarding any exercises, don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section.
Shubhangi Gaikwad, [email protected],
Follow Womenlines on Social MediaFollow Womenlines on Social Media