Leadership can be defined as a skill of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. In a business scenario, this can mean directing workers and colleagues with a strategy to meet the company’s needs. How to be an authentic leader is a big question. Womenlines takes pleasure to share incredible insights about leadership from world’s top-ranked coach John Mattone –
- When it comes to leadership, many people feel that you’re either born with it or you’re not. But while some people might have a natural leadership proclivity, it is possible for anyone to cultivate their own innate ability to lead. Leadership, as I define it, is as simple as “being an example to others,” and this is something we can all develop.
- There are countless approaches to leadership development—books, tools, workshops, courses, philosophies—and all are valuable. But in my experiences, the leadership work that really tips the scales and leads to lasting change is the kind that focuses on what I call “the inner core.” If you want to be a better example to others, you need to develop your character, values, and mindset. Many people skip over this step at their own peril.
- One of the keys to Intelligent Leadership is making what I call “the vulnerability decision.” This is a choice that you, as a leader or aspiring leader, make to open yourself up to your colleagues, peers, or employees. Many consider vulnerability to be a weakness, but I’ve found that it’s actually a great source of strength.
- One of the most popular traits of modern leaders is the ability to “think big.” It’s a sexy term that many people throw around, but few know how to actually do it. I’ve found that the key to “thinking big” is to find a connection to your core purpose. You need to find out what it was that you were put on this earth to do to unlock your ability to think like a visionary.
- Many people who want to develop as leaders, do so because they want something for themselves—a promotion, a title, accolades, etc. But true leadership is based on a recognition that it really isn’t about you. It’s a compulsion to become a better human being for the sake of leading and inspiring those around you.
I highly recommend that you check out John Mattone’s new book, The Intelligent Leader. John is the world’s top-ranked executive coach and this book brings insights and tools that are usually reserved for only the top echelon of the business world right into your lap. Reading the Intelligent Leader is like having your own leadership coach, you to go deeper, pointing out your blind spots, and always encouraging you to become more. Plus, if you order a copy today, you’ll get free access to the Mattone Leadership Enneagram Inventory($110 value), which is a tool he’s developed for people to determine their unique leadership style, strengths and developmental opportunities (a $110 value).
Follow Womenlines on Social Media