Do you want to get rid of your belly fat forever? Womenlines brings to you a list of certain exercises which can help you to reduce your belly fat!
What is belly fat?
Belly fat is a type of body fat that is stored in the abdominal area, also known as the “midsection”. It can be classified into two main types: subcutaneous fat and visceral fat. Subcutaneous fat is the fat that is stored just under the skin and can be easily pinched, while visceral fat is the fat that surrounds the organs within the abdominal cavity and is considered more dangerous to overall health. Excess belly fat has been linked to various health problems, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, certain cancers, and hormonal imbalances.
Why belly fat is harmful?
- Increases risk of heart disease: Abdominal fat, specifically visceral fat, is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure.
- Raises risk of type 2 diabetes: Excess belly fat can interfere with insulin sensitivity and lead to type 2 diabetes.
- Linked to certain cancers: Studies have shown that having a high amount of belly fat can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as breast cancer and colorectal cancer.
- Impacts hormone levels: Abdominal fat can produce hormones that can disrupt normal bodily functions, leading to health problems such as infertility, irregular periods, and menopause-related symptoms.
- Negatively impacts mental health: Having excess belly fat can lower self-esteem and increase feelings of depression and anxiety.
How exercise can help in reducing belly fat?
- Increases calorie burn: Regular exercise can help increase the number of calories burned each day, leading to a reduction in overall body fat, including belly fat.
- Improves insulin sensitivity: Exercise can help improve insulin sensitivity, which can lead to a reduction in abdominal fat.
- Boosts metabolism: Regular exercise can help increase metabolism, allowing the body to continue burning calories even after the workout is over.
- Builds muscle: Strength training exercises can help build muscle, which in turn can boost metabolism and burn more calories.
- Targets multiple muscle groups: Certain exercises, such as planks and Russian twists, can target the abdominal muscles specifically, helping to tone and strengthen the midsection.
- Reduces stress: Exercise has been shown to reduce stress, which can lower cortisol levels. Elevated cortisol levels are linked to increased abdominal fat storage. It’s important to note that while exercise is an important component of weight loss and reducing belly fat, a combination of a healthy diet, sufficient sleep, and stress management is also necessary for optimal results.
The best exercises to reduce belly fat are:
1) Aerobic exercise:
Activities such as running, cycling, and swimming can help burn calories and reduce overall body fat.
2) Resistance training:
Strength training exercises such as squats, lunges, and deadlifts can help build muscle and boost metabolism.
3) High-intensity interval training (HIIT):
HIIT workouts are short, intense exercises that alternately push the heart rate up and then bring it down.
Planks engage the core and help tone the abdominal muscles.
5) Bicycle crunches:
This exercise targets the rectus abdominis, obliques, and hip flexors.
6) Russian twists:
Russian twists are a great exercise for working the oblique muscles and reducing waist circumference.
Burpees engage multiple muscle groups and are an effective total-body exercise for burning calories. It’s important to note that spot reduction of belly fat is not possible and a combination of diet and exercise is needed for weight loss.